Happy Hump Day Loose-rs! Juuuust kidding (you’re of course all winners in my book!) Hmm… does not have a good ring to it- don’t worry I’ll keep working on that. Anywayz, so sorry for the brief hiatus. That whole annoying, full-time job thing has been getting in the way. I’m back in blogging action though and ready to share some of my favorite reads! But, before I tell you what to download next in your i-Books, I wanted to share why I was initially even interested in these to begin with!
The reason this blog encompasses all things non-toxic lifestyle is because I truly believe wellness is a 360 degree approach- mind, body, & soul. Eating clean, organic, whole foods that are closest to their natural state is how I first began my journey into a healthier, happier Dani. From there, I realized all the work I was doing by putting clean foods for fuel and energy into my body were being compromised by the chemically filled skincare, makeup, household cleaning products, linens, and even clothing and furniture that came in contact with my body on a daily basis.
I know what you’re thinking “Danielle are you fu*king crazy? I don’t give a rats a$$ about the fake hormones forced into our livestock (that we then consume), or the flame retardant chemicals in a mattress, or the deadly effects of inhaling bleach when I’m just trying to get a wine stain out of my white Topshop jeans” (been there). Trust me, I totally get it and know this stuff is super overwhelming. That’s why I want to help!
We are all going to die someday from something. But I, for one, am sick of living in a world where it’s pretty much a certainty and common understanding among our millennial generation that we are going to die of some sort of disease. As we age, our toxic world is basically setting us up to either get cancer, diabetes, have a heart attack, develop Alzheimer’s, the list goes on. (Ok, I made Negative Nancy hit the road after that sentence).
My point being, this blog, this way of life, is not just to encourage you to serve your body by eating organic, wholesome, plant-based foods. My hope is that it will inspire you to take baby steps toward an overall less toxic lifestyle. Even when we gather up all the amazing chemical-free home supplies and clean, green beauty brands, our minds may even need to be examined next for detoxification. Decluttering negative thoughts (with meditation or yoga!) is by far the hardest part for me of living this less toxic lifestyle! But, thank goodness for these like-minded individuals below that put pen to paper for their health & wellness discoveries.
Alright, alright, alright (no unfortunately Matthew McConaughey is not in the house), here are some of my favorite reads. These echo the themes I’ve been preaching to the choir! And I’ll be sure to keep this “Dani’s Book Club” list going as I come across more great finds.
Favorite Health and Wellness Reads
- The Honest Life by Jessica Alba. (This is a great starter read! Highly recommend for anyone looking to dip their toes into the organic pool.)
- The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone. (This will totally make you see your hamburger in a different light.)
- Body Love by Kelly Leveque. (You’ll never go on a “diet” again after this one)
- You Are A Badass by Jen Sincero. (Reach for the stars, over the fence, world series kinda stuff)
- The Cancer Revolution by Leigh Erin Connealy. (This is SO EYE-OPENING & EMPOWERING if you know anyone affected by this disease. This is also my Mom’s doctor for Ovarian Cancer.)
- The Engine 2 Diet by Rip Esselstyn. (Good ol’ healthy Austin, Texas boy goes plant-based. Great for any men in your life.)
- Oh She Glows Everyday by Angela Liddon. (You seriously won’t even notice this is a vegan cookbook other than the fact that I just told ya.)
- Balancing in Heels by Kristin Cavallari. (MTV Laguna Beach & The Hills fan till I die + her new book “True Roots” just came out as well! Side note- I met her in an NYC once standing in the security line and it was epic.
- The Healthy Life by Jessica Sepel. (Aussie based nutritionist w/ great tips for letting go of any food relationship stuff.)
- The Kind Mama by Alicia Silverstone (for my future Mommy blog 😉 )
- *Bonus: Still Lolo by Lauren Scruggs Kennedy. (Not really health/wellness related but because you will be reminded of the simple, everyday tasks we take for granted, like brushing our hair. And because I think she is absolutely amazing.)
XOXO – Dani