My Work Day Tips & Tricks for Maintaining Health & Productivity at The Office
It can seem impossibly hard to stay on track for a healthy day at the office. The work day can be bombarded with coworkers bringing in breakfast tacos and client lunches. Sometimes there are wining and dining happy hours (when you just need these people you’re schmoozing to sign the contract already). Then there’s usually some sort of random snack bar filled with sugary ingredients (that are only going to make your frustration levels from the commute traffic even worse). And then, don’t forget the afternoon crashes where you’d kill for one of those naps you got in pre-school, too many unproductive team calls that literally could’ve just been an email, & SO MUCH MORE. Ok I’m done. Can you relate?
So, how do you keep a healthy diet, a focused mind, and an energized bod for a more productive and positive day? I’m breaking down my own personal habits for a little Wellness Wednesday:
Start with meditation. I know, I know- sounds like some hippie bullsh*t but I swear it will make that one office clown’s comments slightly less annoying each day. Lately I’ve gotten super into meditation using the Calm app on my phone even for like 10-15 minutes before I get out of bed. If you need a super easy intro to meditation tester- look up the “We Heard What” podcast by mega-fashion blogger Danielle Bernstein and check out the 5 minute segment by one of her guests (and a favorite influencer of mine to follow), Holistic Health Coach, Melissa Wood. Her voice is seriously so soothing- it’s a total day changer.
Workout in the morning? If I can roll myself out of bed in time to make a yoga sesh, I love doing a few extra back bends even after the class is over since this pose is literally a natural shot of caffeine for your body.
Breakfast: After doing my other morning wellness rituals (enter water with lemon, tongue-scraping, & sometimes even a little coconut oil-pulling; posts on these soon to come) I usually hit the road with a grab and go smoothie in one hand and a cold brew coffee in the other.
- Current Breakfast Smoothie Recipe I’m loving: 1 frozen banana, 2 scoops chia seeds, 1 large handful spinach, 1 tablespoon almond butter, about 1/2 a cup some sort of berries, 1 tablespoon MCT oil, and unsweetened almond milk. Sometimes I’ll throw in some plant-based protein powder too!
- Coffee: I try to stick to one cup a day unless I’m really dragging in the afternoon and need an extra pep in my step. I could drink cold brew coffee all year long I swear. It tastes so much richer. Chameleon Cold Brew brand’s Black, Espresso, Pecan, or Caramel flavors are routinely staples in my house. These flavors are what I stick to since they do not have cane sugar listed in the ingredients. I then usually add another local fave TX brand, MALK almond or cashew milk. This is the cleanest brand by far available out there in the grocery store for nut-based milks- could not recommend enough!
Commute: Inspirational podcasts all the way peeps. They literally save me from pulling my eyeballs out in the Dallas morning traffic.
- Current Faves: Tony Robbins, The Skinny Confidential Him & Her, Refinery 29’s Unstyled, Girlboss Radio, We Heard What, The Mind Body Green Podcast, The Morning Toast, & The Influencer Podcast (for any fellow bloggers/entrepreneurs out there!)
Cubbicle Life: Once I get to my desk, I pop two Rise nootropics supplements by the brand HVMN. I heard about nootropics from a Well + Good article I came across. Nootropics are basically supplements to combat brain-fog and support increased mental focus. I swear they are like the natural version of Adderall without all those drug-filled side effects like the dreaded come-down withdrawal. The HVMN brand also has another version called “Sprint” that is supposed to be even stronger!
Hydration Station: I know this is so cliché but don’t forget to fill up a reusable water bottle throughout the day. I have to remind myself constantly to drink more water. It really is the trick to keep everything flowing- pun intended 😉
The local Whole Foods is usually my go to lunch break spot. You can find one nearby in most major metropolitan areas. I used to bring my lunch a lot (and sometimes I still do). But, as I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized I need the mini mental break of just getting outside for some fresh air. I make the same salad at Whole Foods on the reg. See below for my salad bar creation or checkout my Whole Foods Vegan grocery haul for more Inspo.
- Whole Foods Salad Bar Recipe: Mixed greens, peas, green onion, a couple tomatoes, mushrooms, a little scoop of quinoa, hemp seeds, flax seeds, nutritional yeast, and red pepper flakes. For dressing: a dash of each- red wine vinegar, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon, and a tablespoon of hummus (secret ingredient here as it makes a healthy creamy dressing for ya!)
- Mid-Day Drank: I usually pack a mini cold brew coffee shot in a 4 oz mason jar if I know it’s going to be a long day. I’ll also have an Organic Tea Bag, and/or Rishi brand matcha travel packets! Matcha is a great replacement if you’re trying to cut a coffee addiction.
Really try to fill up on a healthy lunch like this so you avoid the temptation or pressure to chow down on a cupcake for dear old Susan, the office secretary’s, birthday. These sugar rushes can leave you crashing and burning more than Rihanna in that Eminem song (just gonna stand there and watch me burnnnnn..)
Peppermint oil: I LIVE for peppermint oil. It has endless benefits. My favorite brand is by Doterra. I use the peppermint beadlets, the roller ball version, and the pure oil dispenser as well. After lunch I usually pop a beadlet (hello fresh breath & sugary gum replacement) and rub a couple drops under my nose and on the back of my earlobes for a tingly, fresh sensation! If your cube mates are cool you could even diffuse this on your desk. This pure plant essential oil is a great natural pick me up. It will help you stay alert through your next IT presentation or finance update (riveting). Just make sure to wash your hands after using and avoid your eyes or other sensi areas(if you know what I’m sayin’).
3. LATE AFTERNOON
Healthy Snacks are a must. You will literally never find me without some sort of snack on hand in my purse.
- Current faves are Go Macros bars, Nate’s Raw Sprouted Nuts (Dallas local!), & Gala apples with almond or cashew butter packets (Artisana brand is one of the best for this!)