Living in the Lone Star State, plant-based food options are definitely pretty limited, as BBQ sometimes seems to be the #1 food group! With the rise of organic and clean eating making waves from major consumer packaged good companies to at home meal-prep services and fast-casual restaurants, Texas seems to be catching up with the wellness trend and I couldn’t be happier about it! I rounded up my top favorite spots in The Big D to grab a healthy bite:
Fave Dallas Eats
- Brewed + Pressed (West Village) – uber cool coffee shop vibes with fresh juice and plant-based pre-packaged cuisine! Their Cali Shake is to die for.
- True Food (Preston Center) – California born chain & “sit down” style restaurant with everything from organic vodka to a mean tofu brunch burrito… oh and did I mention organic vodka? Suitable for vegans, vegetarians AND grass-fed meat eaters! Note: they offer the BEST Bloody Mary I have ever had (again, ORGANIC. VODKA. ok I’m done). Slight upscale environment great for brunch, lunch meetings, or family dinners.
- Flower Child (Inwood Village) – Newer sister restaurant to True Food. A key difference is the ordering process here where you order at the counter and food is brought to your table. The lazy girl in me loves this.
- Taco Deli (Slyvan Ave) – Austin based company available for breakfast to a late lunch (they’re only open till 3pm!) Counter ordering again here as well and the Freakin’ Vegan taco is a fan favorite! Very fast casual style.
- Juiceland (Slyvan Ave) – Again, an Austin headquartered company who has planted roots here in Dallas right next door to Taco Deli! Mind-blowingly delicious and made-fresh to order juices, smoothies, and “shots” along with pre-prepped on the go snacks.
- Spiral Diner & Bakery (Kind of in between Kessler & Bishop Arts District) – Funky spot for organic & all vegan dining with 50’s diner style. I see why there is always a waitlist when we venture over there for a weekend dinner because their Pasta Primavera with brown rice noodles, homemade marina, and pesto is killer. They have a location in Fort Worth as well!
- The Gem (2 Locations: University Park & Forest) – This fresh pressed juice & smoothie shop has a modern feel and an awesome background story that hits close to home as the owner believes in fighting cancer with nutrition!
- Kozy Kitchen (McKinney & Knox) – The ultimate BYOB spot with an extensive menu for takeout, breakfast after a quick weekend workout, or kozy date night.
- Southpaw’s Organic Grill (Multi-location) – perfect for a quick work week lunch. I don’t believe they are entirely organic, but hey, I’ll take what I can get! They also have a spot in Equinox Highland Park I’ll often times hit up for breakfast after a workout.
- Sundown at Granada (Lower Greenville) – Hands down favorite spot for a fun night out! The boozy drinks are fab and the quinoa burger is my jam. They also have live music on the weekends, a fabulous little rooftop patio, and are right next to The Granada music venue, so you can grab a bite before the show.
- Be Raw (Preston Center Plaza) – Organic, vegan, & gluten-free y’all. Awesome, and I believe only, ALL raw vegan restaurant in Dallas. Small setting inside with grab and go Boom Juices and raw desserts (the mint shake is amazeballs). I know this type of eating can sound intimidating and unappealing to some but I promise the guilt-free menu is worth a try while you’re still on your January health kick!
Other faves that didn’t make the list- Whole Foods (the ultimate favorite- click here to see my staple items there), Buda Juice, Local Press + Brew, and Lala Mexican. Ok, did I miss anything? What is you all’s favorite healthy spot in or outside of DFW? Let me know so I can add it to my master list for travel to other cities!
For now, cheers!
Xoxo – Dani
photo via the retro penguin